|Labelling Requirement||Label||Outer packaging (Retail Box)|
|Name & Address of the Responsible Person||Yes||Yes|
|Ingredient list (inci)||Yes||Yes|
|Period after opening (PAO)||Yes||Yes|
|Function of production||Yes||Yes|
|Volume e.g. 50ml e 1.7fl.oz||Yes||Yes|
** if no retail box then ingredient list must be stated on product label.
In more detail: For cosmetic products being sold within the EU, the following information must be included on the label or packaging;
- What the product is
- A batch number so the product can be identified. Batch number is based on invoice number therefore this will be provided when order is placed.
- Period after opening to indicate how long the product can be kept. Expiry date not needed as shelf life of all our products is 30 months.
Closed container: 12months PAO
Open container (Jar): 6 Months PAO
- The nominal net weight
- Safety warnings
- The name & address of the Company or Responsible Person that the product is being sold under
- An ingredients list (INCI) in decreasing order of weight (the ingredients for each product are displayed in this manner on our PIF summaries)
- The Country of origin, for products imported into the EU.
A closer look at ingredients
Due to the different languages and terms used across the EU, there are regulations on how certain types of ingredients must be displayed;
- Ingredients have to follow a standard terminology so there is consistency between different brands and this is set in the International Nomenclature for Cosmetics Ingredients (INCI). All INCI names can be found on the PIF summaries on our website on each product page. INCI names for extracts [link]/essential oils [link]can be found on our website.
- ‘Parfum’ can be used to indicate the presence of a perfume
- ‘Aroma’ can be used to indicate the presence of a flavor [lip products]
- For ingredients that are in concentrations of less than 1%, they can be listed in any order after all other ingredients
- If there is an addition of a fragrance there may be allergens that are associated with these. Allergens must clearly be stated on the product. All allergens can be found on each fragrance oil [link] or essential oil [link] on our website.
- Common names may be used eg. water, as detailed in the European Pharmacopoeia but are not needed
Should you be sending artwork over to us;
- Font Size: We would always advise a minimum font size of 4pt
- Bleed: 3mm